AIDS-FAT TISSUE LOSS

AIDS resulting in fat tissue loss. My body looks like a meat ball with toothpicks as my arms and legs---please HELP!!!!!!!!What do I need to do to correct this problem. Thanks

Thank you for your question.

Fat loss (lipoatrophy) is a faily common problem among people living with HIV infection. Recent studies have shown this to largely be a multifactorial problem, meaning that there are several contributing factors. Most of these factors can be broken down into issues that relate to the severity of HIV disease and magnitude of recovery (i.e., how bad was your disease and how much recovery in CD4 cells and weight gain have you had) and possible drug effects. The later has been analyzed by several groups including the French, Australians and the CDC's HOPS group. The upshot of these studies is that there is a common finding of linkage of d4T and lipoatrophy; some have shown that discontinuation of d4T and switch to another nucleoside have resulted in benefit in lipoatrophy. It is very important to appreciate that this association does not prove (or even imply) causation. It might exist soley because d4T is a drug that is well tolerated and is most likely to result in sucessful immune reconstitution.

As for direct treatments for lipoatrophy, to date, we are mostly unsuccessful. Clearly if there is a component of generalized weight loss (wasting), increasing caloric intake and controlling HIV would be beneficial. Hypogonadism (low testosterone levels) can also contribute. However, anabolic steroids have the tendency to cause fat wasting and would be relatively contraindicated. Similarly growth hormone, which has been suggested as a treatment for lipoaccumulation, causes peripheral fat atrophy.

The best advice is to continue with HIV therapies, if indicated; in the meanwhile, your immune system will stay as healthy as possible. This is a fast moving area of research, hopefully better answers and solutions to the problem are coming.

Good luck, BY

re: Future
Black Spots: Does it Mean I have AIDS?