re: Future

Re: Future. I'm scared about your answer to this question from Portugal that after starting HAART one will have 10 years or more.... Will this mean for example for me (starting HAART in 97)that I will have still (only) six years or a bit more from now on ? Will (hopefully) this threatened future be brightened by a therapeutical vaccine ? (Ofcourse I don't want to pinpoint you on a date....Thanks very much, Tony.

thanks for your question and sorry about the confusion.

What I tried to explain is what the current life expectancy for persons with advanced disesase is. This does not mean that we would subtract your previous years on therapy; rather, that from this point forward, all persons in this cohort (from the HOPS, with CD4 counts ever below 100 cells) could be expected to live "ten years".

Understand, too that this is only a very crude estimate and as you accurately point out, we can certainly hope for better treatments (and better survival and quality of life) in the years to come.

hope this helps, BY

To Stop or Stay With?
AIDS-FAT TISSUE LOSS