cryptococcal Meningitis (HIV Negative)

My husband died 2 weeks ago from cryptococcal Meningitis he was only 41 & he DID NOT have HIV. He worked inside a Brewery. The guys would have to go up and clean the roof and silos because of built up bird droppings. (Do they need to hire special people or give the guys special equipment to clean the bird droppings up?) Back in December - January he i started to notice a differance in his personality. Obviously it had already started to effect his brain. How long before that could he have contracted the disease. How long can you carry it take till it starts affecting your organs? He also started to get cortizone shots for a work injury could that have affected the disease? We have a 2 boys 8 & 9 year olds. and we all miss him terribly !!! Is there anyway that it could have been prevented? any answers we be greatly appreciated. Thank You !

Response from Dr. Pavia

I am very sad to hear of your loss. I don't know if any of the anwers will help heal that pain.

Cryptococcal infections can occur in people who are on steroids, have lupus, cancer, leukemia, have organ transplants, or have congenital immune deficiencies, as well as HIV. Rarely, it can occur in someone with no risk factors, but the steroid shots may have played a role. Protective gear is usually not used.

Cryptococcal meningitis may have a long slow presentation, and personality change may be the first symptom, usually along with headaches.

Involvement of other organs usually occurs when the immune system is very suppressed, and not in the occasional person with a normal immune system. If other organs were involved, his body may have been fading for some other reason.

I hope a little knowledge helps. Good luck to you and your sons.

ATP

Optimal Amprenavir/Ritonavir dosages
Vaccines-for the HIV- community only or for POZies as well