crixivan vs kaletra lipodystopy

Dear good Doctor I was on crixivan and combivir for 4 1/5 years with mild lipodystrophy, would the lipodystrophy become worst if I witch to kaletra?? thanks

Thanks for your question.

There is very little information about the differences between indinavir and lopinavir/r (Kaletra) with regards to risk of lipodystrophy. It is very important to remember that despite initial reports that blamed lipodystrophy on proteases ("protease paunch" or "Crix belly") the best available data points to many factors being related to lipodystrophy- age, body mass changes; time since or lowest ever CD4 count; time since highest viral load. Time on therapy is also correlated with risk, however, as you can see, time on therapy would also probably increase the likelihood of having a long time pass between lowest ever CD4 count.

Indeed, one important study (HOPS) showed that if one did not have these non-drug factors, no cases of severe lipodystrophy were seen, even in the face of long-term use of ARV drugs, particularly those that have been implicated in other studies (d4T and indinavir).

In the end, I think that my advice is to stay on successful therapy, unless there is a strong reason to switch (usually side effects or toxicities). The available data on protease inhibitor switches and lipodystrophy fail to show any significant benefit (despite multiple studies).

good luck,BY

viramune or sustiva??
Trizivir or Viracept/Combivir