HIV Treatment in foreign countries

My friend, who resides in the Carribbean, has just been diagnosed with HIV. Her physician has informed her that there are effective drugs being used in Columbia to treat this disease which are not used in the United States, and he plans to treat her with these drugs. I am concerned about her decision to try this treatment instead of returning to the States. I cannot provide you with the names of these drugs because I do not have that information. I am interested in learning if you know of any such treatments in South America which have not been approved here but are producing positive results in HIV patients.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Not that I've heard about. But there are readers in South America - and they may be able to share what is on this list of options.

But the concern of course is that what is available is less well studied - and even with lots of apparent enthusiasm for the benefit - it may be less clear just how much benefit these other approaches would have. But you never know, so let's see if any readers send in some examples.

CC

Neuropathy and ZERIT
Shocked at my numbers.