Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pills
Aug 2, 1999

I was wondering, can you give me just an average for this question, I know it depends on individual treatments, etc., but: if you are first starting on treatments, and you begin with a triple drug regimen, about how many pills a day are we talking? 5,10,20? Just an average. Thank you very much.

Also, are you allowed to snack at some points during the day, and do you have to eat your meals at the same time every day?

Response from Dr. Cohen

You are right. It depends.

The range of the number of pills per day in our current med choices goes from a low a two pills just once a day (true for Viramune, and ddI/Videx, especially for those who weigh less than 132 pounds) -- up to 16 a day taken as 8 caps twice a day - true for both Fortovase and Amprenavir - two protease inhibitors. And plenty in between - including on the lower end - one pill twice a day (true for most of the "nucleoside" antivirals) or three caps once a day (true for Sustiva). And one medication called Combivir is a tablet twice a day - but it is two different meds in one tablet. And since most successful combos these days are three different meds - you can do the addition from there. Like two tabs twice a day. Or one to two in the AM, and four or five at bedtime. And up it goes from there. And since you are asking - I assume that you are interested in as few as possible - but if that isn't true - then you can identify some successful combinations that would need 10 pills twice a day. Or more.

And some require some food. Some require no food. And some don't care one way or the other.

Once you decide which issue is OK for you, and which might be a barrier - it is likely we can find a combination that can fit into virtually anyone's pattern - assuming they are willing to swallow a few pills each day.

Hope that helps. CC

Previous
now or later?
Next
Neuropathy and ZERIT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.