Sustiva/Anxiety

I've been on Sustiva (Zerit, Abacavir) for over 6 months with good results re:viral load, etc. I know about DuPont and the statements '52% have nervous system disorders,dreams, etc. that should go away by two weeks'- I have always felt an anxiety on it and often need to retreat into a quiet room with curtains closed and phone turned off. It is affecting my usual social interactions and I have a friend with symptoms that are oddly similar. Neither of us had these feelings before taking Sustiva.

Response from Dr. Pavia

Interesting. We don't know a lot about how Sustiva causes psychologic side effects, but it seems often to unmask or make worse problems you are already prone to. One approach would be to talk to your doctor about switching, perhaps to Viramune (nevirapine) which is in the same class but is unlikely to have the same effect. However, if Sustiva is working, you may be unwilling to switch. Another approach is to get treatment for what sounds like generalized anxiety, or perhaps panic. These are very real, treatable conditions and there are a lot of drugs which work well with acceptable risks. I would try and talk with a psychiatrist who works with a lot of HIV-infected folks, since they'll know the drugs best. Remember, that means your going to the expert, not that you are crazy. Good luck. ATP

KS
Crixivan and