Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

new dosage
Nov 4, 1999

My doctor had me on 800crixivan bid, 300norvir bid, 3tc bid. My last VL 322 cd4 229. He said we could know lower the dose of crixivan down to 800 once a day because of the effects of norvir on crixivan in recent studies. Does this sound reasonable.

Response from Dr. Pavia

It is not totally unreasonable. There is one study I know of suggesting that combining once norvir with crixivan once daily might maintain good crix levels through 24 hours. But, couple of major "buts"

It was a very preliminary study and needs a lot more data. There are no data on whether it maintains good viral suppression. You already have two medications that are twice a day, so what do you gain by taking once a day crix? Your viral load is dropping, but has not yet gotten below 50, so this might not be the best time to modify your regimen. In general, I prefer to use doses and combinations for which we have good information, when possible. Great results so far though, so keep up the good work.

ATP

Previous
Zerit Induced Neuropathy
Next
HELP! The condom broke............

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.