Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Crixivan+Norvir+3TC+D4T
Dec 9, 1999

Hi doctor,

I've been into Crixivan(400mg/8 hours) and 3TC+d4T(12hours)for a year. My viral load becames below 40 copies by PCR and T4 about 850 since I started this triterapie. I had not yet any serious side efect, like kidney stones(even if I had some light pain) and a very mild lipodistrophy. Now, my doctor sugests me to keep into 3TC+D4T, twice a day, and Crixivan(400mg)+Norvir(100mg), twice a day and together with meal. I'm a bit worry becuase all people into Norvir takes more than 100mg, even if every 12 hours and while into Crixivan alone I couldn't eat two hours before or one hour after take it. My doctor told me he's adding Norvir to my prior regimen and changing times for Crixivan because it makes easier to manage my time and prevent side efects like kidney stones, but I feel a bit confuse yet and I'd like to know about this treatment he proposed me.... Thanks a lot...

Marcos

Response from Dr. Pavia

Marcos,

There are some advantages to combining Crixivan with Norvir, and you may want to consider it. When crixivan and norvir are taken together, you only need to take them twice a day and you can eat any time you like. There may be fewer kidney stones, but that has not been proven. If you are doing well, you don't have to change.

Your doctor may be confused as to the doses though. The combinations that have been studied are:

Norvir 100 mg, Crixivan 800 mg (twice a day) Norvir 200 mg, Crixivan 800 mg (twice a day) Norvir 400 mg, Crixivan 400 mg (twice a day)

We have not compared them. I like the Norvir 200, Crixivan 800, or the 100/800 for most people. Good luck ATP

Previous
concerned about,RNA Viral LOAD and CD4 COUNT
Next
stop

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.