Starting a drug cocktail and smoking?

My domestic partner is starting on his medications. He will be taking Combivir and Viracept (I believe that is how they are spelled) and is also a very heavy smoker. Is there a way I can get him to quit? With the meds that he is on can he take other kinds of meds to help him quit smoking such as Zyban. Or can he be on the nicotine patch or the gum. Which is the best way to get him to quit? And how bad is smoking to an HIV+ person. His viral load is 45,000 and his CD4 count is 400. Does smoking make the progression of the disease quicker? Thanks for you time.

Response from Dr. Squires

There is no evidence that smoking makes the progression of HIV more rapid but, as you note, there are many important reasons to stop smoking. There is no one method of smoking cessation that has a guaranteed success rate; treatment really needs to be individualized. I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your partner and urge him to see his physician.

I hope that this is helpful.

KES

A Ray of Hope
Medication Timing