Norvir and it's correlations to seizures

I suffered a seizure and was told by my pharmacist that it could have been caused by Norvir. What is the correlation between the drug Norvir and seizure disorder? Can Norvir cause seizures? Thanks. Brian

Response from Dr. Pavia

Brian,

To my knowledge, there is not a clear relationship between Norvir by itself and seizures, but that doesn't mean it is totally impossible. What I would be much more concerned about is a drug interaction. Norvir changes the way the liver breaks down many drugs. That means that the levels could be increased which could trigger a seizure. This applies to regular medications (Wellbutrin is one example) and "recreational" drugs. Cocaine and methamphetamine are big concerns. There have been concerns about ecstasy overdoses related to interaction with Norvir.

A seizure should never be ignored without a thorough investigation. Since I can only comment in general terms, I usually would like to see you have a CT scan with contrast, or better, an MRI, and have a spinal tap to examine your spinal fluid (CSF) for infection. Many times, an EEG (recording of brain waves) is helpful. Get checked out, and make sure your doctor knows everything you were taking at the time, whether or not it was traditional medication that he or she prescribed.

ATP

How long can regimen last--follow up
should i be on treatment