CONCERNED ABOUT ASSIMILATION

HI, I AM CURRENTLY USING D4T, 3TC AND VIRAMUNE. I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE NEW DRUG XENICAL WHICH INHIBITS FAT ASSIMILATION IN THE INTESTINES. HOWEVER, I DON'T WANT TO JEOPARDIZE MY ANTI-VIRAL REGIMEN. DO YOU KNOW OF ANY INTERFERENCE, OR DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OF FOR A DOSING SCHEDULE IN WHICH I CAN USE BOTH?

THANKS SO MUCH! MARK

Response from Dr. Pavia

I don't know the answer to your question, but it is a good one. It is not mentioned in my sources. Luckily, none of the drugs you are taking is terribly dependent on fat for absorption. I would contact the company that makes xenical, and make a request for the specific interaction data. You may have to have your doctor or pharmacist do this. Pharmacists often do the best job of researching the more obscure drug interaction problems since they know how to use many different data sources....

I am not overly impressed with xenical as a rational or very effective way to lose weight, however, so I would make sure it is really your best option.

ATP

Must Sustiva be taken 600 mg at one time
Marinol+Sustivia+illegal drug testing