Sustiva Clarification.... - AP

Hello Doctor, Could you please clarify your statement in a recent answer: "Sustiva is generally not one of the drugs for which levels are most likely to be important, but there may be situations when we need to consider it, such as someone with a very sick gut and severe diarrhea..." I am taking Sustiva, Zerit and Epivir with great results -- 100 percent adherence has resulted in undetectable VL for almost 2 years and CD4 increasing from 250 to over 500. I had a bout of food poisoning last month and battled diarrhea for about a week. Should I be concerned about lowered drug levels in a case like this and if so, can anything be done to counteract the problem? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Pavia

Good question, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Certain types of severe, chronic diarrhea are associated with malabsorption, the inability to absorb some nutrients and medications. This can be a problem in cryptosporidiosis, microsporidiosis and the kind of severe, chronic AIDS wasting/diarrhea we used to see in the old days. It should not be a problem in short term infectious diarrhea.

For anyone else who is worried, clues to malabsorption are: severe unrelenting diarrhea, greasy or oily stools, and ongoing involuntary weight loss. If anyone thinks this is a problem, see your doctor.

ATP

Very Interesting Question
decrease in dosage of crixivan+norvir / is it safe?