Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

no childhood vaccinations
Feb 11, 2001

I have just learned that I am HIV+ and that I have full blown AIDS (CD4 count 113 and Viral Load at 236,000) I have started Zerit, empivar, and Kalestra, as well as sulfate to prevent pneumonia. (Being at work, I may be off on these names) I have no symptoms. It occurred to me today that I have had virtually no childhood immunizations due to my parents religious beliefs. I am 38. I did have an oral Polio vaccine back in the late 70's when there was an outbreak in their church. I have just gotten a Hep A vaccine and I had a case of Hep B back about 6 years ago. Is there any other vaccinations I should have? Is there any danger if my memory is wrong and I have had another vaccination or two during my "rebellious" teen years?? Thanks for your help

Response from Dr. Pavia

There is no real risk to getting vaccinated again, just because you may have been vaccinated as a teenager.

All people with HIV should get the pneumonia vaccine (pneumovax) and an annual flu shot is a good idea. Hep A vaccine, and if you never had the disease, Hep B vaccine are recommended. If you were never vaccinated against measles, it is a good idea, but you should probably wait until your T cell count goes up to well above 200, since it is a live vaccine. The risk of complications is low, but would be a lot lower once your immune system improves (say in about a year), especially if there are no outbreaks in your area. If you never had a tetanus vaccine, at least one dose of it (Td) is a good idea, since any puncture wound with dirt in it can potentially cause tetanus.

Thanks for the question.

ATP

Previous
Crixivan versus Kaletra - AP
Next
lymph nodes big behind ear

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.