Low Testosterone In Women

Hello Doctor,

I'm a woman who's 40 & my blood test just came back with almost no testosterone.

I've been panicking for about the last 8 months because no matter how hard or long or how many weights I lift my legs are becoming deformed looking. Not only have I lost all muscle now I'm getting "dents" up & down my thighs, like I was kicked or hit and the muscle retained the dent??

My other blood tests were questionable, I have to go back in 6 weeks before any treatment is started, but I'm afraid what will happen to my body in those 6 weeks!

Any suggestions? And what is happening?

Thank You.

Response from Dr. Aberg

You have not given me enough information to really make any comments. Do you have HIV? If not, then you are at the wrong site. If you do have HIV, are you on treatment for your HIV? If so, what treatment? What is your CD4 count?

A women's normal testosterone level is very low and some assays may report that is below the level that the assay can detect. I really do not know the significance of this without knowing the assay normals, type of testosterone assay and your other hormone levels. So get back to me with that information and we can discuss this further.

Thanks JA

Only high viral load should I start treatment? part 2
A reasonable cocktail in Thailand?