Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low Testosterone In Women
Mar 9, 2002

Hello Doctor,

I'm a woman who's 40 & my blood test just came back with almost no testosterone.

I've been panicking for about the last 8 months because no matter how hard or long or how many weights I lift my legs are becoming deformed looking. Not only have I lost all muscle now I'm getting "dents" up & down my thighs, like I was kicked or hit and the muscle retained the dent??

My other blood tests were questionable, I have to go back in 6 weeks before any treatment is started, but I'm afraid what will happen to my body in those 6 weeks!

Any suggestions? And what is happening?

Thank You.

Response from Dr. Aberg

You have not given me enough information to really make any comments. Do you have HIV? If not, then you are at the wrong site. If you do have HIV, are you on treatment for your HIV? If so, what treatment? What is your CD4 count?

A women's normal testosterone level is very low and some assays may report that is below the level that the assay can detect. I really do not know the significance of this without knowing the assay normals, type of testosterone assay and your other hormone levels. So get back to me with that information and we can discuss this further.

Thanks JA

Previous
Only high viral load should I start treatment? part 2
Next
A reasonable cocktail in Thailand?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.