Dr. Young, < seroconversion period >

Dr. Young, Thank you for considering this question Many people in Korea believe 12 weeks or 3months test for HIV, however your answer on Dec 5 2001 makes many people confused.

You mean who got a negartive result can be positive even after 6 months ?

Please expain to me about seroconversion period.

Question and your answer on Dec 5 is bellow

Decisions, decisions.... Posted: Dec 5, 2001 <Q> Dr. Young, First, thank you for taking the time to consider my situation. I had an indeterminate test result on October 30th. I followed that with a viral load test and learned that my VL is 4,070 and my CD4 count is around 511. I have tested negative every six months prior, so I am certain that I am a recent seroconversion.

<A> Thanks for your questions.

I agree that it would appear that you are in that seroconversion period. This situation is relatively unique with regard to HIV treatments; recommendations about starting treatment here are different that during established (or chronic) infection. *** first paragraph only**

While most seroconversion occurs after 3 months, there are cases that occur after this point. Hence, the recommendation for testing at the 6 month point. There are very rare reports of conversion later, though there may be issues related to the reliability of the data acquisition.

I understand the apprehension this question raises; one needs to understand that there is always uncertainty when talkng about testing and the odds of seroconversion. The best thing to do, is to get tested and of course, whenever possible, avoid risky behaviors. BY

feminine hygiene issue
Diagnosis