Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Off meds 1 year; is this unusual?

My numbers have remained stable and no need for meds. I am 11 years sober..34 yrs old. Approaching 1 year anniversary of being HIV+ Is this unusual?

It is not unusual to be asymptomatic for years after HIV infection; indeed the average time from infection to the onset of AIDS is around 8-10 years.

As for starting medications, recent guidelines recommend treatment with later-stage, hopefully asymptomatic disease; hence, many persons with HIV disease are not on medications. What is most essential, though, particularly since you've not stated, is to know and follow your CD4 cell count and viral load regularly. This is probably as important to know when you're not on medications as when you are taking treatments. BY

Mutation
Cellulitis