combivir/viramune

Hello. I just started combivir/viramune (I've not been on amy meds prior to the past two weeks) and the side effects I'm experiencing are affecting my GI system. My stomach is upset, I feel nauseous or sharp pain at times. This is pretty constant. What's the likelyhood that this will continue? Is this common and do people often go through a period of adjustment on these meds? I've read about people adjusting to initial side effects and soon after they are okay. Any advice would be great. THanks.

Response from Dr. Stryker

It is not unusual to have the GI effects you are describing, especially this early in the course of treatment. GI effects are among the most common with all prescription drugs, and will often improve with (more) time.

However, this is the right time to check in with your doc and review the side effects, and discuss possible treatments for the nausea. Lab tests should also be performed to evaluate your liver and other organs, and it is not too soon to check viral load for initial response to the combination. Any type of constant pain like this should prompt a visit to your doc for exam and evaluation. Call now! Best, RAS

Rick Stryker, M.D., M.P.H.

OK to add another drug now?
SOLUTION FOR BLOATING OR POTENTIAL BIGGER PROBLEM ?