Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Experimental New Drug
Jan 15, 2001

I have been watching for new approaches to combat HIV/AIDS. I came across a drug that has been in pre-clinical development for some time now. Is it possible for the good Doctors to check out this website (www.adviral.com) and offer an opinion on the merits of this drug in particular and this technology in general ?? Also, allowing for clinical trials, how long would it take for a drug like this to go from FDA IND acceptance to marketplace ??

Thank you in advance......

Response from Dr. Pavia

I checked out the web site, and have to say I did not learn much. I think the site is aimed at the investors, rather than scientists. Reticulose, or product R, is felt to be an immunomodulator, which can regulate the immune response. Phase 1 studies have not begun in the United States but a phase 1 study is said to be underway in Brazil. It is likely to be 2-3 years before we see clear data to help suggest an effect and another 2-3 years would be needed for Phase 3 studies.

The likelihood that modulating the immune system will be a part of HIV treatment in the future is, in my opinion, very high. However, we have a long way to go developing agents which do this and in understanding them.

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

Previous
Concerned about a 53 viral load
Next
Treatment Interruption

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.