Experimental New Drug

I have been watching for new approaches to combat HIV/AIDS. I came across a drug that has been in pre-clinical development for some time now. Is it possible for the good Doctors to check out this website (www.adviral.com) and offer an opinion on the merits of this drug in particular and this technology in general ?? Also, allowing for clinical trials, how long would it take for a drug like this to go from FDA IND acceptance to marketplace ??

Thank you in advance......

Response from Dr. Pavia

I checked out the web site, and have to say I did not learn much. I think the site is aimed at the investors, rather than scientists. Reticulose, or product R, is felt to be an immunomodulator, which can regulate the immune response. Phase 1 studies have not begun in the United States but a phase 1 study is said to be underway in Brazil. It is likely to be 2-3 years before we see clear data to help suggest an effect and another 2-3 years would be needed for Phase 3 studies.

The likelihood that modulating the immune system will be a part of HIV treatment in the future is, in my opinion, very high. However, we have a long way to go developing agents which do this and in understanding them.

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

Concerned about a 53 viral load
Treatment Interruption