Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hypogonadism?
Jan 22, 2001

Dr

After a high risk exposure and severe symptoms of ARS, my doctor ran test (CBC, EIA, etc..) at 6 week post-exposure. Everything was normal.

When I went to get 3 month EIA -- the I.D. Dr. said I was negative and would not take any other tests. I asked him about my testosterone level (205) and he said it does not happen in early hiv. So he is referring me to an Endocrine clinic for evaluation. Aside from hiv, do you have any idea what I could have contracted from this high risk exposure? Before this exposure my libido was fine -- now it is DEAD.

Thanks you Doctor!

Response from Dr. Stryker

I agree with your ID doctor -- it is unlikely to be HIV-related. Hypogonadism is not usually seen in acute infection, an your tests are negative so far. Is it at all possible that psychological issues are a factor here? Your anxiety about the high-risk event is a far more likely cause.

However, no harm in getting an endocrine consultation. Still, I doubt that testosterone replacement is a good idea, as the levels can be affected by mood. Continue HIV testing out to 6 months, and re-evaluate your libido later in the year. And give some thought to prevention of further high-risk events. Good Luck! RAS

Rick Stryker, M.D., M.P.H.

Previous
Ram Test
Next
zerit/facial wasting change to azt??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.