hypogonadism?

Dr

After a high risk exposure and severe symptoms of ARS, my doctor ran test (CBC, EIA, etc..) at 6 week post-exposure. Everything was normal.

When I went to get 3 month EIA -- the I.D. Dr. said I was negative and would not take any other tests. I asked him about my testosterone level (205) and he said it does not happen in early hiv. So he is referring me to an Endocrine clinic for evaluation. Aside from hiv, do you have any idea what I could have contracted from this high risk exposure? Before this exposure my libido was fine -- now it is DEAD.

Thanks you Doctor!

Response from Dr. Stryker

I agree with your ID doctor -- it is unlikely to be HIV-related. Hypogonadism is not usually seen in acute infection, an your tests are negative so far. Is it at all possible that psychological issues are a factor here? Your anxiety about the high-risk event is a far more likely cause.

However, no harm in getting an endocrine consultation. Still, I doubt that testosterone replacement is a good idea, as the levels can be affected by mood. Continue HIV testing out to 6 months, and re-evaluate your libido later in the year. And give some thought to prevention of further high-risk events. Good Luck! RAS

Rick Stryker, M.D., M.P.H.

Ram Test
zerit/facial wasting change to azt??