Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

keeping ritonavir cool
Jan 15, 1998

I have seen some replies as to what people should do when travelling with ritonavir (use a cool pack). However, I am going on a VERY long trip (30 days) that has at least 3 flights over 12 hours.

Is there any more information on how unstable Ritonavir is? If I just use the cool pack each flight and keep the bottle cool between flights (even putting in a sink of ice water if there is no mini-bar), should it be okay?

I have heard that it is the ritonavir capsule and not the ritonavir that becomes unstable....is this true?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

p.

Response from Dr. Murphy

Dear P,

Ritonavir is supposedly OK for up to 12-24 hours at room temperature. Some patients ask the flight attendant to store it in the refrigerator. Ask the airline first if this is possible, otherwise ask them to put one of your cool packs in the freezer or someplace cold and then use that when your other one gets too warm.

This is not such a big problem. Patients have done this type of travel many times. The problem is bigger if you end up in a developing country and the electricity is out and there is no ice. If the medication really spoils, stop everything and restart when you get a new supply.

RM

Previous
Protease Inhibitors and Bone Density/Mass
Next
hepatitis c and PIs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.