keeping ritonavir cool

I have seen some replies as to what people should do when travelling with ritonavir (use a cool pack). However, I am going on a VERY long trip (30 days) that has at least 3 flights over 12 hours.

Is there any more information on how unstable Ritonavir is? If I just use the cool pack each flight and keep the bottle cool between flights (even putting in a sink of ice water if there is no mini-bar), should it be okay?

I have heard that it is the ritonavir capsule and not the ritonavir that becomes unstable....is this true?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

p.

Response from Dr. Murphy

Dear P,

Ritonavir is supposedly OK for up to 12-24 hours at room temperature. Some patients ask the flight attendant to store it in the refrigerator. Ask the airline first if this is possible, otherwise ask them to put one of your cool packs in the freezer or someplace cold and then use that when your other one gets too warm.

This is not such a big problem. Patients have done this type of travel many times. The problem is bigger if you end up in a developing country and the electricity is out and there is no ice. If the medication really spoils, stop everything and restart when you get a new supply.

RM

Protease Inhibitors and Bone Density/Mass
hepatitis c and PIs