burning feet and legs

I am on no medication and am not diabetic to my knowledge but the top of my feet burn and above my kness. I have to sleep with ice packs. The Drs don't know what it is. Can you help?

Response from Dr. Pavia

If you are writing to this forum, I am assuming you are HIV infected. There are a number of forms of nerve pain that occur in HIV infected persons unrelated to meds. Some are related to the virus itself, some are related to deficiency of vitamin B12 or folate, and some can be caused by infection, such as syphilis or CMV radiculitis.

Neuropathy is the area of expertise of neurologists. Get your doctor to refer you to a neurologist with expertise in nerve function. S/he may want to do nerve conduction studies or EMG's. These tests are not fun or cheap, but can tell a great deal about the health of the nerves in your legs.

Good luck

ATP

Newly Diagnosed on Meds
Tested Positive...what to expect