The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

treatment for gonorrhea
Jan 30, 2002

from: Very Concerned person I am a male 25 yrs old. Are all forms of gonorrhea treated with the same medications? By forms I mean there are oral, anal, and infections in the sex organ. Recently I went to my doctor with a burning feeling when I urinate. He gave domoxyxilan, and 2 doses of cipro. Lately I have had a sore throat with some white spots in the back of my throat and I had some sort of discharge from my anus. I did have unprotected sex 2 months ago and I did not know the person that well. my question is should;nt the medications have cleared up the infection. The doctor did not test me specifically for any STD's, but he treated me as if I did have one. He said instead of testing me which would take a few days to get results he will treat me ads if i did have an STD. Should the medications have cleared up any infection no matter where in the body it is? Also the domoxicilan is used for chlamydia, is the cipro used ofr gonorrhea? Thanks,

Response from Dr. Young

Dicloxacillin is typically used to treat Chlamydia, Cipro (or ciprofloxacin; or one of it's cousins) is used to treat Gonorrhea. This is true no matter where in the body the infection is located.

The other major issue that I would point out, is that contraction of one or more bacterial STDs means that you have placed yourself and your partners at risk for other STDS (including hepatitis and HIV)..

Please be safe out there, there's much that cannot be treated with just simple antibiotics. BY

We need help with alternative meds?
hiv come with MOSQUITE?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint