Fortovase/Viracept Dosing

Per your advice on the Crix/Viracept combo , my doc and I decided to go with the Fort/Viracept combo. I will be taking these with Sustiva and Preveon. We want to try twice daily dosing but aren't sure of the adjustments needed for the Fortovase and Viracept. What do you recommend? I have looked through all the old questions but could not find an answer. I apologize if you have answered this before, but I can't find it and would like to hear your experience and opinion. Thank you, thank you, thank you. (One for each of you!!)

Response from Dr. Gallant

You're welcome!

In the only study I know of using the combination of Viracept and Fortovase, the doses were standard for Viracept (750 mg three times a day), and for Fortovase the dose was 800 mg three times a day. I'm afraid that Viracept's effects on saquinavir levels are not so profound that you can stretch the dose of Fortovase out to twice daily, even though you could probably do that with the Viracept. It's a lot of pills.

However, if you're taking this combo with Sustiva, all bets are off. We know that Sustiva decreases Crixivan levels, but it appears to increase Viracept levels by about 20%. I don't know what it does to Fortovase, but somebody might. When you use a combination with this many unknown drug interactions, you're sort of on your own.

Good luck!

JG

JG

Taking Crixivan Late
Serostim for