Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My first blip?
Jan 21, 2002

Hi doc My question is: I have been on azt,3tc,crixivan since 1995 when crixivan was in trial i never had change my combo or mised a dose? till today! Im also been on Remune for two years and did the (Z gene therapy)no plasebo.plus one siclo of il2. yes I did alot staff for my self. and I always been undetectable since 1995. under 500 first and with the new ultrasensitive tests under 20. for the las almost 7 yrs. my cd4 allways 700 to 1100, and my cd4 29 to 42. now 32 cd4 798. my question is I have my last lab test result showing my viral load 126?? its a blip i know! i should be worry about resisten? the test was the ultra sensitive under 20! its the first time a test show me hiv in my body!! hope you can healp! thanks.could be a wrong result? i was with a cold at that time? its normal? thanks very much for your healp. Rob.

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question.

Very low viral load testing, particularly when preceded by undetectable viral loads are usually "blips". This is typically defined by a return to undetectability in the next several weeks.

We are many theoretical causes of blips, from misses doses of medications to low level immune activation-- as accompanies cold sores or vaccination.

We know from several studies (see Havlir, 2001; Sklar, 2001) that there does not appear to be any signficant risk of the emergence of resistance and/or drug failure from blips.

With viral loads less than 1000 copies, it is not reliably possible to get a viral genotype or susceptibility test to assay for resistance. Best advice is to just get the viral load run again after a few weeks (provided that you aren't sick or have missed doses). Good luck, BY

Previous
interruption treatment
Next
NOT UNDECTABLE ANYMORE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.