IL12 for KS treatment

My lover has the opportunity to join a drug trial using IL12 for treatment of internal KS (stomach and lungs). This is the next stage of treatment, ..i.e., moving to cytokines. He was diagnosed not long ago, and his viral load is about 1,500, t-cell about 100. The alternative is to wait until t-cells are up more and do the regular chemotherapy. What do you think of the IL12 trials?

Response from Dr. Dezube

The standard treatment for internal KS (stomach and lungs) is indeed chemotherapy. The best chemotherapy with the least toxicity is one of the liposomal drugs (either DaunoXome or Doxil). IL-12 is investigational (experimental). The early data on the drug look quite promising. If your lover's KS is not too severe and if he is an eager-beaver to try IL-12, then I would say that he should go for it. I'm sure if he is in a clinical trial, his KS will be followed very closely. If his KS begins to progress, he can always receive chemotherapy at a later point. GOOD LUCK.

Bruce Dezube, MD

Therapy quandary -- Dr. Cohen please help!!!!!!!!
Can a drug test differentiate between Marinol and the real thing?