Access to drugs in Malawi

My mother has been tested to be HIV+ and during the last year. She probably got it by caring for my two sisters who dies during the last two years. My mothers now has had several oportunistic infections. Antiretroviral drugs are avalible in private clincs here in Malawi but combined with the required medical support it is out of reach. Do you know any drug companies or other groups that make drugs available (maybe for compassionate use) to PLWHA in this part of the world? Of course the perfect thing would be to get a full combination available for my mother but that might be too much to ask for. Therefore even combinations of two drugs will help to my mother feel better and live longer for a few more year. Combivir would be perfect. If we can get the drugs very cheap or for free, I will be able to pay for the necessary medical support (viral load, CD4/8 etc). I hope someone can help.

Greetings from Africa.

Response from Dr. Pavia

My heart goes out to your mother, and the millions of others in Africa who could have access to care, but no way of paying for it. I do not know of specific programs, but there has been some progress in getting drugs donated. I would contact the drug companies first, and ask if there is a program available that would meet your needs. Glaxo Wellcome makes combivir and has been interested in international health. There probably are other resources that I don't know about, and hopefully other readers may post some advice or direct you to other services.

Good luck

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

crazy idea
Very recent infection treatment options