Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What to do with a mesenteric mass?
Dec 4, 2000

Please, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I have been to a couple of good HIV doctors in Atlanta. I have a mass in my bowel and have had numerous tests-16 CAT scans (yes, sixteen), mega blood tests and Endoscopies and Colonoscopy's. They have done CT guided biopsies and to no avail. What do I do? I need someone to help me get treatment for this. I am currently on Mac meds along with HIV treatments and also pretty high doses of morphine and duragesic patches for the pain. The doctors here don't know what to do. Do any of you suggest radiation of chemo? One doctor says it's a MAC mass-another a tumor of unknown origin, another wants to split me open just to explore. Any suggestions or referrals would be helpful. Thanks for your time and expertise. Helpless in Atlanta. P.S. The mass is the size of a softball. Help!

Response from Dr. Pavia

Dear Helpless,

I can see why you feel helpless and scared. Your doctors sound like they are on the right track by recommending an open biopsy. The best way for you not to be helpless is to get a diagnosis and to know what you are up against. Nowadays, the surgeons do not necessarily "split you open". With the help of newer instruments the incision could end up small and healing does not have to be long and difficult.

The problem is that in someone with advanced HIV, the mass could be a lot of different things, and you need to find out. I am sure that a lymph node mass due to MAC or TB, or a lymphoma are on the top of the list of the concerns. Both are treatable, and removing the mass could help with your pain. Chemo is very useful for lymphoma, but it is not something you want to do without knowing exactly what you have. Other, unexpected infections could cause a mass, as could unusual tumors. Unless there is a reason that you are not in good enough shape to go through an operation, it is probably what I might be recommending if your were my patient. Good luck

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

Previous
Canker Sores
Next
Treatment vacations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.