Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Canker Sores
Dec 4, 2000

Hi Dr. P - I ran across a recent answer of yours to a question in reference to a dentist and it triggered a question of my own. I get canker sores pretty regularly - However note that I got them regularly way before I was HIV + also. They are mostly uncomfortable for the first couple of days then go away. Am I more likely to get them now than before and being HIV + should I be more worried or should I be taking something for them?

Response from Dr. Pavia

Canker sores (or apthous ulcers if you want to sound official) are one of the curses of humanity. I have gotten them since I was 6 years old. We do not know what causes them, although most suspect it will prove to be a virus triggering some kind of immune response. Not everyone gets them, and the severity varies among HIV negatives, but one thing is clear, they tend to be worse when you are HIV positive. Occasionally, they can be very severe in HIV positive folks, but usually they follow your pre-HIV pattern, only more frequent and perhaps larger and slower to heal.

Treatment is available, but it is only moderately effective. My wife used to say (my whole family gets apthous ulcers): "how come we can send a man to the moon but you can't tell me what causes canker sores and there are no good cures?" Corticosteroids can help a lot, especially if they are started at the first inkling of a sore. My favorite preparation is Kenalog in orabase, which is a steroid in a dental paste. For more severe cases, I sometimes have my patients use a potent steroid in liquid form as a rinse, twice a day, such as Lidex solution. Another trick that can work very well to head off a canker sore for some people is a prescription antimicrobial mouth wash called Peridex (chlorhexidine solution). You rinse with it for 60 seconds twice a day at the first hint of a sore. It leaves an interesting aftertaste, but for some people it works very well. For giant apthous ulcers, which can sometimes occur in the esophagus or duodenum, a course of prednisone (a systemic corticosteroid) works well. There are some people with refractory giant apthous ulcers, and thalidomide has often been very helpful, although not for everyone, and it can be quite sedating.

Good luck, and I hope this gives you some ideas to talk about with your doctor or dentist (and sometimes the dentists are better at this than we are).

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

Previous
HIV and Swelling
Next
What to do with a mesenteric mass?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.