Trizivir and Kaletra

I was tested positive 11/01, viral load is 885,000 and cd4 is 136. I am resistant to Sustiva and that class of drugs and my doctor has put me on the combo of Trizivir and Kaletra. What do you think of this? Anything I should be aware of? Also, the storage of Kaletra requires refridgeration, does that mean all the time? Can I keep it at room temp for any duration of time?

Response from Dr. Pavia

The regimen you are on is very aggressive yet very compact. You are in essence getting 5 drugs in only 4 pills twice a day. For someone starting with a very high viral load and low CD4 count, that sounds like a very good idea. There are other ways to skin the cat, but I like your regimen in your case, depending on how you tolerate it. You will have to see how you tolerate the AZT component of trizivir and the Kaletra, as well as keep a watch on your cholesterol over time. One consideration might be to use this regimen until your viral load and CD4 count are doing well for a prolonged period and then consider changing to something simpler.

Kaletra is stable at room temperature for moderate amounts of time, probably up to a month. I would see no problem with having a few days supply in a pill box, for expample. However, avoid high temperatures, and if you get a three month supply, be sure to refrigerate it.

Good luck

ATP

Genital Herpes
Dr. Young