what the census on Acyclovir

Doctor, I was wondering what are the guidelines for Acyclovir? I have never had genital herpes and I have been taking Acyclovir for nearly two years just becaus emy Doctor says, sorry i don't believe in taking unnecessary medications.I can not find any clear information that supports Acyclovir and many people i know are not prescribed Acyclovir by their Doctors.There dosen't seem to be a standard of treatment for HIV and every doctor beliefs differ.After 20 why are there no treatment stardards 1000 diffrent variations in cocktails isn't a standard of treatment.Thank you for your hard work and dedication to people with this illness.

Thanks for your question.

In general, I agree with you. If you don't have oral or genital herpes, there is little benefit in having you take acyclovir (or one of its cousins, like valacyclovir). It may be that you have antibody evidence of prior infection with HSV, but in the absence of frequent or painful recurrences, I wouldn't suggest preventive therapy.

It is also true that there are many differnet treatment options for HIV, this is the result of having 17 different medications to treat HIV and that patients, like human beings are individuals-- what is ideal for some persons might not be the ideal treatment for others.

A good starting point to understanding how treatment decisions are made are located in the DHHS guidelines for the treatment of HIV infected individuals. BY

ACTG study
zidovudine