Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

neighbors chicken coop
Dec 28, 2001

Woke up Christmas morning to find that the neighbors have installed a coop with 5 chickens next to our fence. How much danger are we in for exposure to Mycobacterium Avium infection and toxoplasmosis? I know this sounds strange, but this is a serious question--I'm writing a letter to request them to move it to the other side of the yard.

Response from Dr. Pavia

The good news is that chickens do not carry toxoplasmosis, and probably do not increase your risk of exposure to M. avium over drinking the water and being around the soil. There is no major risk of airborne exposure to chickens of which I am aware.

The bad news about chickens has to do with Salmonella and Campylobacter. Many chickens carry these organisms and excrete them in their, well, you know, their chicken sh*t.

Whether this poses any risk to you would depend on whether there is anyway you are likely to have exposure to their droppings in your food. For instance, if your vegetable garden is below their coop, that could pose a risk.

Good luck

ATP

Previous
Cholesterol/Triglycerides and Abdominal Girth
Next
want to increase my weight

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.