The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ongoing vomiting and dry heav
Dec 31, 2008

For years now I have been vomiting and dry heaving on a daily basis. I have been to a gastro dr. and he has tested me for everything. He also has tried medications but nothing has worked. He has given up and told me to get a second opinion. Has any one else had the same type of problem or any suggestions what I might do? Thanks Andy

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Andy,

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Vomiting and nausea can be among the most upsetting things to deal with. YOu do not mention if you are on anti-HIV meds, since some may cause these symptoms and alternatives may be available. Also you do not mention your CD4 count which may effect the potential causes. In general a good GI work-up should look for the common causes of chronic vomiting such as pancreatitis (which can be brought on by alcohol, high lipids in the blood, infections, medications or gall stones), gastritis (which can be caused by excess acid, reflux, medications or infection with a bacteris- H. pylori), gastroparesis (slow emptying of the stomach- common in diabetics, with use of opiates for pain), intestinal obstruction (usually after an infection, a hernia, or prior surgery). You should ask your primary medical provider to make a re-evaluation of this symptom. Trials of diet change or medications to improve stomach function or reduce acid sometime help.

Good luck.


Shuld i be worried...?
6.5 Year ARV Holiday

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint