Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Prezista & Norvir

Hello-My question is about taking Prezista AND Norvir together. I know Prezista is to be taken with it, but I cannot tolerate that drug (Norvir). Am I wasting my time with Prezista alone?

Thanks much!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Yes...you are not only wasting your time, but potentially letting your virus become more resistant. Prezista requires norvir to be effective against HIV. Norvir here is used to slow the metabolism of Prezista by the liver. Without the norvir, the blood levels of prezista would be too low to effectively kill the virus and it would be cleared so quickly from the blood that it wouldn't be able to suppress the virus throughout the day. The worst thing for an anti-HIV med is to be present in the blood at a level too low to kill the virus. That just gives the virus the chance to build up resistance without getting the benefit from the drug. You should discuss your tolerance issues with your medical provider and see if there are alternatives that might work for you.

Good luck, Joe

I'm Worried
please give me some suggestion!