Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Prezista & Norvir
Dec 17, 2008

Hello-My question is about taking Prezista AND Norvir together. I know Prezista is to be taken with it, but I cannot tolerate that drug (Norvir). Am I wasting my time with Prezista alone?

Thanks much!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Yes...you are not only wasting your time, but potentially letting your virus become more resistant. Prezista requires norvir to be effective against HIV. Norvir here is used to slow the metabolism of Prezista by the liver. Without the norvir, the blood levels of prezista would be too low to effectively kill the virus and it would be cleared so quickly from the blood that it wouldn't be able to suppress the virus throughout the day. The worst thing for an anti-HIV med is to be present in the blood at a level too low to kill the virus. That just gives the virus the chance to build up resistance without getting the benefit from the drug. You should discuss your tolerance issues with your medical provider and see if there are alternatives that might work for you.

Good luck, Joe

Previous
I'm Worried
Next
please give me some suggestion!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.