Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Opportunistic infections

Dear Doctor, I am getting crazy, please help. My last CD4 count is 1029 and CD4/CD8 ratio is 1.81. But, I am getting opportunistic infections such as athlete's foot and leukoplakia on tongue. What is wrong with me? thanks.

Response from Dr. McGowan

The issue here is terminology. For example, fungal infections between your toes ("athlete's foot") is not an opportunistic infection and is seen at any CD4 count (with or without HIV infection). Whereas other types of fungal infections, such as those that affect the brain, are opportunistic infections. I am not sure if the tongue finding that you describe is oral hairy leukoplakia. You should see an oral health specialist to examine your tongue and determine what you have. Thank you for your question. Joe

HIV test and Liquid?
6 months???