The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

M. tuberculosis
Nov 30, 2008

i am the same person who ask you about M. tuberculosis. my doctor told me that this manifestation of M. tuberculosis is not a ordinary one, that is why he did not knew to tell me much, he said that he never saw it in the past. but my diagnosis was put under a PCR for mycobacteriums and i made it twice. i went to 5 different pathologists and every one of them said a different thing. maybe if i can send you some pictures of my lesions you can help me, if this is possible. i went to different doctor for 6 months, and everyone of them said that they did not saw that kind of lesions and PCR was the only thing that give me something good. so i am kind of desperate and i wil appreciate your help

Response from Dr. McGowan

The best way to confirm M. tuberculosis is by culture which will also allow testing for medication susceptibility. PCR is not able to determine medication susceptibility. Was the lesion cultured? If not it should be. Your doctor would notify the laboratory that mycobacterial disease is suspected since this will change how they process the specimen. Certain mycobacteria such as M. leprae will not grow but this is not a member of the M. tuberculosis group. Unfortunately, sending pictures would not help since visualizing the lesion will not tell anyone if this is TB or not.

psorasis and geographical tougue
Gene v. Drug Therapy

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint