Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

M. tuberculosis

i am the same person who ask you about M. tuberculosis. my doctor told me that this manifestation of M. tuberculosis is not a ordinary one, that is why he did not knew to tell me much, he said that he never saw it in the past. but my diagnosis was put under a PCR for mycobacteriums and i made it twice. i went to 5 different pathologists and every one of them said a different thing. maybe if i can send you some pictures of my lesions you can help me, if this is possible. i went to different doctor for 6 months, and everyone of them said that they did not saw that kind of lesions and PCR was the only thing that give me something good. so i am kind of desperate and i wil appreciate your help

Response from Dr. McGowan

The best way to confirm M. tuberculosis is by culture which will also allow testing for medication susceptibility. PCR is not able to determine medication susceptibility. Was the lesion cultured? If not it should be. Your doctor would notify the laboratory that mycobacterial disease is suspected since this will change how they process the specimen. Certain mycobacteria such as M. leprae will not grow but this is not a member of the M. tuberculosis group. Unfortunately, sending pictures would not help since visualizing the lesion will not tell anyone if this is TB or not.

psorasis and geographical tougue
Gene v. Drug Therapy