Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

VL undetectable but CD4 Drop

I've started my medication since 2006, (Combivir + Stocrin)with a undetectable VL but my cd4 is dropping from 726 to 536 and now is 460. Why?

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am very glad that your viral load is undetectable. Your drop in CD4 count needs to be explained. My first suggestion is that you ask your doctor what is your CD4 percentage (%). Sometimes, an overall decrease in your lymphocyte count can cause the CD4 count number to drop but the CD4 percentage remains unchanged. If the percentage is stable over your three CD4 count readings, that is somewhat reassuring. Your doctor should investigate why your CD4 count is dropping. Are you on any new medications that might be causing lymphopenia (lower than normal total lymphocyte count). Another cause of a drop in CD4 count is in the setting of an activated immune system. There are many cause of immune activation so your doctor may look for reasons. I would not, at this point, attribute your dropping CD4 count as a failure of your current HIV treatment

Dry flaking skin
psorasis and geographical tougue