Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Follw Up: experimental therapies

"Thank you for your post.

VIRxSYS is working on a gene therapy strategy where a patients CD4 cells are removed, engineered to be resistant to HIV infection and then reinfused. Very preliminary results were published in the last year showing that this can safely be done with a few of the 5 patients studied reported to have some virologic benefits. I am not aware of where the company is in clinical development. Nevertheless, you can be sure that despite the early progress there is a long way to go before we will know if this novel strategy will make it into advanced stages of clinical research or into the clinics. "

I really think the research is dramatically slow. Doc, i know a lot very sik people, my best friend is type one diabetic (28 years ago!! still on insuline substitution, but we know this method since 1926 ?... ), other friend of me is HIV pos, and my girlfriend has multiple sclerosis... So, i think the whole research should try, but much much faster to deevlop direct cures, and start therapies much earlier to eradicate this diseases, cause they are spreded via genes.... I only will say, we need dramatically faster research, much braver(as soon as possible starting new therapies, no metetr how experimental they are...). I would allow people with cronic diseases to choose if they will egt part in trials, but not only few persons and others can not be in trials... For instance encapsualted b cells for diabetics(without immunesuppression), gene therapy for HIVers, IL- AB for chron disease, and so on. I know the medical doctors and researchers have a power to move such things- please do it, i speak in the name of 10000 and more, millions people of our beautiful world. Pleas post this and write something to show the world that CHANGES WILL soon happen.

GOOD LUCK for all researchers of this world,

Sinceerly

Michael

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for expressing your sentiments. Research is sorely needed in many areas of medicine. This requires resources and money as well as dedication by the nations of the world that treatments are available not based on someone's wealth but rather based on whether someone is sick. I know this sounds a bit idealistic but tomorrow is World AIDS Day and we need to remind ourselves of how many people with HIV who need treatment are going without therapy each day.

Flu shot and blood work
Dry flaking skin