Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

HIV outside the USA

Hi, I know you can't be of much help to me seeing that I live in South Africa, but I am hoping you might have some advice for me anyway. Government systems in this country seem to be falling apart. It seems it's only getting worse. I do not trust the doctors here and I am very concerned about my boyfriend. He tested positive last year, thankfully I am negative. Its heartbreaking because we had plans to get married and migrate before he was diagnosed. We are both educated and have enough money to meet migration requirements but we're afraid our dreams will just not be realized now (due to the travel ban), and that he will never get the treatment that's available in first world countries. Besides just living our dream, I need to get him to a place with competent doctors. He deserves a fighting chance and we are just not coping in this country. Most of the time, I find myself turning to this website for answers because our doctors just don't seem to care. Is there ANY way to realize our dream? It may be just wishful thinking but I want to believe that there is still hope...also what are your views on the treatment available in the U.S. in comparison to countries like South Africa? Is my boyfriend in trouble?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Although many countries and organizations have made enormous strides making HIV treatment available to parts of the world where it is desperately needed, much more needs to be done. When future generations will look back on our time, they will wonder why more was not done. The resources that are currently used to wage war should be moblised to fight infections such as HIV and TB and malaria. You are right that the variety and types of treatment available in the US (HIV drugs and HIV clincal monitoring) are often not available in resource poor settings. However, on the right first line regimen and by adhering to this regimen, your boyfriend should do well in South Africa. Your boyfriend is fortunate to have the benefit of your support and encouragement.

Active Oxygen Therapy
Using Sustiva + Truvada instead of Atripla for one night