Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

How to rise my CD4

Hello Doctor,

I been taking my medication and never miss a dose since 2006. My VL remain undetectable but my CD4 is dropping from 700 to 460 now. May I know how to rise my CD4 to a "normal" level? (i.e 500 above)

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am very glad that your viral load is undetectable and that you have not missed a dose. Doctors sometimes underestimate how much dedication it takes to adhere to an HIV medication regimen. First, your CD4 count should be repeated. At this point, you should also not feel that your HIV regimen is not working. I would also ask your doctor if your CD4 count percentage (%) has also decreased. Sometimes the CD4 count drops but the percentage remains the same. Sometimes an intercurrent illness (like a viral illness can cause the the total lymphocyte count to drop) and this can cause a drop in the CD4 count but the CD4 percentage remains unchanged. When the total lymphocyte recovers after a viral illness, the CD4 count will also increase. Good luck Joe

HIV test and Liquid?
M. tuberculosis