Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How to rise my CD4
Nov 30, 2008

Hello Doctor,

I been taking my medication and never miss a dose since 2006. My VL remain undetectable but my CD4 is dropping from 700 to 460 now. May I know how to rise my CD4 to a "normal" level? (i.e 500 above)

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am very glad that your viral load is undetectable and that you have not missed a dose. Doctors sometimes underestimate how much dedication it takes to adhere to an HIV medication regimen. First, your CD4 count should be repeated. At this point, you should also not feel that your HIV regimen is not working. I would also ask your doctor if your CD4 count percentage (%) has also decreased. Sometimes the CD4 count drops but the percentage remains the same. Sometimes an intercurrent illness (like a viral illness can cause the the total lymphocyte count to drop) and this can cause a drop in the CD4 count but the CD4 percentage remains unchanged. When the total lymphocyte recovers after a viral illness, the CD4 count will also increase. Good luck Joe

Previous
HIV test and Liquid?
Next
M. tuberculosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.