Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

HIV test and Liquid?

Hi Doctor,

I was wondering, I took an HIV test on the day I had a cold. The night before I had a sore throat and I drank lots and lots of liquids (tea with lemon, maybe 5-7 cups and didn't eat much). And would this effect my test result, because of too much liquid in my blood? My test was negative 2 weeks later, however I was still wondering about this.

Thanks,

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question. Drinking fluids does not interfere with an HIV blood test. You and your doctor should decide if you need to have another HIV test in about 3 to 6 months to confirm your first HIV negative test result. This is sometimes done if the first test is felt to be close or quite close to the exposure. Good luck Joe

Am I suspected?
How to rise my CD4