Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

persistent sore thraot lasting for 3 weeks, elevated white blood cell, and invisible blood in urine (white and red cell)
Oct 31, 2008

i had unprotected sex with one girl before 7 weeks and 4 days, and after 4 weeks u start feeling fatigue and sore throat no more sgins and sometimes abdominal pain ... i went to the clinic and make CBC and the result was normal except for the WBC was 11200 and the urine test detected blood in urine(white and red cell) so he ha gave me Augmentine antibiotic thought that i have urine tract infection and actually i do... burning sensation and etc... after a week i returned to make another blood test and the result still the same blood in urine but more elevated in white blood cell 12000 .... im really confused to death... please help... do this a significant indicator that i got HIV infection i mean the elevated white blood cell, persistent sore throat, and blood in urine........

Response from Dr. McGowan

The symptoms you describe are not typical for acute HIV infection other than the sore throat which can be seen. It is possible that you have contracted an STD such as herpes which can give you urinary symptoms and would not respond to antibiotics. Your risk for HIV infection would depend on the type of exposure, whether you took post-exposure prophylaxis (anti-HIV medication after the exposure), and whether your partner was infected. You should have an HIV test done since you have had symtoms for 3 weeks if you are infected it is likley that the HIV test would be positive. Testing for other STDs and prostatitis shouls also be looked into.

Good luck, Joe

Previous
HIV Faintly Positive
Next
How can I get HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.