Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

oral problem

hi there im 28. have worked with hiv positive people, have had exposure to positive blood twice, but checked my hands and had no visible cuts, that was about 5 months ago, i tested for hiv 3 moths after the blood contact, and 3 times tested negitive,now im experiencing tongue problems. i have the grey white coating on the back of my tongue,with about 15 round circles about 1mm higher than my tongue, and im thinking its iether hiv, or smoking, i got this about 6 weeks now, it happend the day after i smoked i cigaret wich was very strong and gave me a massive pain in my head,with a bolle of red wine, so first i thought it was by body responding to the cigarret but now im not so syre, i have no ther symptoms. had a runny noise only

Response from Dr. McGowan

You describe a low risk exposure to HIV. It is true that intact skin is the best barrier to infection. Acute HIV can cause some symptoms in the mouth. Sores (apthous ulcers) can be seen in the mouth as part of an acute HIV infection. Rashes over the body and swollen lymph nodes are commonly seen. Your symptoms may be nothing to worry about, but since I cannot see the spots over the internet, it would be best for you to see your health care provider to get his/her opinion.

Best,

Joe

hiv rna pcr testing
HIV Faintly Positive