Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

about hiv

I have a baby 5 weeks old. I take viramune and combivir for 3 years. My cd4 was 514 and my viral load was 48 on september 2008. how many percent can I infect my baby by breastfeeding?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Studies indicate that transmission of HIV by breastfeeding may be greatly reduced while on antiretroviral therapy (perhaps to less than 1%) if the viral load is undetectable. However, there is some risk likely. If you do not have access to clean water and formula the WHO would recommend breast feeding as the safer alternative, but if you do have access to clean formula I would advise you to use it to reduce your chances as much as possible.

Congratulations and I hope you and your baby remain healthy.

Joe

HIV RNA and HIV ANTIBODY
HIV RNA and HIV ANTIBODY