Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

STOP HAART

I am positive since 1991. My lowest CD4 was 450. I was infected Hepatic C too. Since 2000 I was on Reyataz+Kivexa VL undetectable, CD4 1100. This year sometime my VL is arround 100. I have beec considering to stop HAART. My doctor gave me another med: Tenofovir 2 days ago but this is nightmare. After potentially Can I come back to the same med?

Response from Dr. McGowan

You have a low level viral load after 8 years on a 3 drug combination. It may be a reasonable thing to "intensify" your regimen since the viral load is still quite low. The simplest thing to do might be to add a ritonavir (norvir) 100 mg to the Kivexa/Reyataz. This would boost up the reyataz level and may help re-suppress the virus. The addition of viread may not be such a great idea since it will further lower reyataz levels and may lead to increased drug resistance when combined with Kivexa. You should strive to have your viral load be undectable, there are plenty of options for you. One thing to be aware of is that reyataz should not be combined with certain antacid medictions...they could lessen the activity of reyataz. If you are using any antacids you should discuss it with your doctor.

Good luck, Joe

Treatment Options
Combivir & Sustiva