Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

combivir and sustiva
Sep 30, 2008

hello, I was wondering if combivir and sustiva considered as a good combination. the other question is how often does someone become resistant to these two meds. i was diagnosed in nov. 2007 and vl was 100,000 and cd4 was 6. as of june vl was undectable and cd4 was about 249. i'm due to go for more lab work on sep. 11,2008 hopefully everything would be better than the last. if there is some type of resistant to any of the two meds that i have mentioned which meds do you think i should switch to. of course with the direction of my dr. i would really appreciate your advice. thanx for being a good expert for the body.

Response from Dr. McGowan

You have done very well in a very short time on your medication. The chances of developing resistance to a combination are based on how well it keeps the viral load undetectable. Your combination has been very effective in clinical trials at keeping HIV suppressed. As long as you can maintain adherence to the treatment, it becomes less likely that you will have to change medications due to resistance emerging. Most resistance will happen within the first year of treatment. Beyond that most changes in treatment are due to late side effects. Since you have done so well for the past 9-10 months there is no reason to expect the drugs to stop working now as long as you keep up with your adherence. If resistance should develop you will have several options as long as it is caught early..so keep up with your monitoring visits even after your CD4 count gets up to the normal range.

Best of luck,

Joe

Previous
natural remedies?
Next
Treatment without Wasting?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.