Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Had Lymph nodes in my neck and tested + CD4 count 585

Dear doctor, i have just been diagnosed with HIV and my CD4 count is 585. I first had the lymph nodes in my neck and i got scared and paniced. Is there anything i can take to get rid of these. I have delevoped these because i had a financial stress 3months ago and now things are all okay. My doctor did the Elisa test only although reading on a lot of books it is recommended that 2X Elisa and 1X Western Blot must be performed. |i will test again in 3 months time to check the CD4 count. Do you suggest that i request the Western Blot to be done? How do i maintain the CD4 count or improve on it?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Diagnosis of HIV is done by having a positive screening test through an Elisa. This must be confirmed with a Western blot, which also looks for antibody to HIV but must show multiple antibodies to different parts of the virus in order to be "positive". A CD4 count of 585 could be present in a person without HIV, so the Western blot would be very important for you. Once that is done, if it is positive, you should have your HIV viral load measured to determine how often you should be monitored (the higher the viral load, the closer things should be monitored).

Best, Joe

hepc geno type1
Depressed