Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

First test - CD4: 237. What now?

I have been diagnosed positive four weeks ago. Since then i got new results about the fact that i'm fine about hepatitis and other STI's and that my CD4 count is 237. I feel perfectly fine apart the stress of this new condition. I eat as healthy as i can, i don't smoke or drink alcohol. I read a lot about CD4 counts on the net and usually people are started medecine when they are lower than 350. Can that decision be made on only one count? Is there any chance that i could avoid taking med now? I heard about kind of supplements that could boost the immune system. I know it sounds like i'm trying to avoid the unavoidable... i just wish i could postpone the use of chemicals as long as possible.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad that you are educating yourself about the role of lab tests, such as the CD4 count on the need for medication and monitoring response to treatment.

There can be some variability in the CD4 count, especially if you are recovering from a recent illness. It is usually best to confirm the result, but since the number is lower than 350 that should be done as soon as possible so as not to delay therapy. Most people are considering treatment at higher levels and the pendulum is swinging in that direction.

There is no doubt that eating well and keeping yourself healthy will help, but we learned in the days prior to effective antiretroviral treatment that nutrition alone is not enough to turn things around. You must suppress the virus since it is the cause of the immune imbalance when the time is right. Some of the newer meds are easier to take and less "toxic", you should discuss these issues with your health care provider.

Good luck,

Joe

TB,CERVICAL LUMPH NODES
face lipodostrophy