Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

lose of smell

i tested +ve for hiv 5 years ago.my cd4 is now about 600 n yet to start on any ARVS.I WAS PUT ON SEPTRINS TO GUARD ON OIS.MY question is: i recently developed lose of smell even when not infected with flu.At times have internal noises in my left ear.something that makes it a bit blocked.what could be the cause of these?

Response from Dr. McGowan

A possible explanation of your symptoms may be allergic rhinitis or sinusitis. Both of these conditions are more common in people with HIV infection. Symptoms include a runny nose, nasal congestion, dizziness, sneezing, loss of sense of smell, and clogged ears. The nasal passages and sinuses are connected to the ear canal (through the Eustachian tube). Inflammation of the nasal passages and sinuses with blockage can be triggered by exposure to common allergens, such as pollens, grasses and fumes. Most symptoms can be managed with anti-histamines, decongestants, expectorants and intra-nasal streoids (or combinations of these modalities). Some of these symptoms may be seasonal and occur more often at certain times of the year. You should discuss this possiblilty with your medical care provider.

Joe

elisa antigen+antibody 4,5 month
Dental Work & Antibiotics