Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Reliability of the Deter,mine test at 5 weeks?

Hey Doc. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, but needed an answer and was not getting it in the other forums. Just wanted to find out though, after reading through the archives I do understand that no test is conculsive until after 3 months due to the window period. What I wanted to find out was the reliability of the determine rapid test by Abbot labs, as I have taken a test at 5 weeks and has come back negative in conjunction with another test (not too sure of the brand). Even though they are not conclusive are they reliable at 5 weeks? What sort of reliance can i place on the tests at weeks. I know that after the 6 months they are very close to 100% but are there any studies done to see there reliability at an earlier date? Many thanks for your wonderful and informative forum. May god bless you and your work

Response from Dr. McGowan

As you mention, the Determine test is a rapid HIV testing method that is commonly used now by many HIV testing centers. The results have excellent reliability and are comparable to the standard blood screeing tests. A negative test does not require any further testing. A positive test must be reconfirmed with a traditional blood test (which will be tested by 2 methods- EIA and Western Blot) that will give the definitive result. A exposed to HIV within 3 months should be retested at 3 months since some people may develop antibodies slowly after infection.

Joe

need some help on hiv pls reply thanks
elisa antigen+antibody 4,5 month